PianoWorld

PianoWorld
Pianoworld site and forums

Acoustic Soundboard

Acoustic Soundboard
Independent acoustic guitar forum

The Clarinet Pages

The Clarinet Pages
The foremost clarinet forum

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Ukulele Picks

 I ordered some ukulele picks from Southern Ukulele Store (SUS) and I thought I'd give them a little demo on my two ukes (Tanglewood concert and Brunswick baritone)

The picks are a Isuzi felt pick, quite thick, a Isuzi Custom which is triangular and transparent, and a SUS branded leather pick. 

First of all, you're gonna have to careful if you put the custom pick down-its quite easy to lose! They should have made it tinted.

Now I've only ever used guitar picks of various sizes, but these are quite different. The felt one took a little getting used to because it is quite thick, but the sound on my concert uke is fantastic. Obviously the sound will be quieter than using fingers but it does create quite a nice tone on that uke, warm, muted, but strumming it fast I can hear all the strings and can still get a decent volume. It doesn't sound so good on the big baritone though. 

Next the Isuzi Custom. Thinner than the felt but a bit thicker than a guitar pick, and quite grippy. Even if playing fast it won't slip out of the fingers. It sounds a bit harsh on the concert but sounds great on the baritone. It would also work well on a guitar I think.

Finally the leather. Now, right from the start I wanted a leather pick. Originally I planned to get a set of Jumping Cow picks which are the same shape as the Isuzi custom, but it was not to be. Instead I opted for SUS's own. And I'm pleasantly surprised. To start with there is a soft side, and a slightly harder side, and to my ears there was a difference in tone between the 2 sides! This pick sounded great on both ukes, being slightly quieter than the Isuzi custom. If I'm playing fast pieces on the concert I might use this one, it has just enough punch without being brash. But if I want to play slow and maybe I want to be quiet I would use the felt pick. It responds well when playing on different positions on the fingerboard. Played well forward of the soundhole it gives a soft almost flutey tone.  It really brings out the tone of the little uke!

Link to Southern Ukulele Store:

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/

Isuzi custom pick:

http://www.isuzi.co.uk/product/isuzi-kup-80-custom-ukulele-pick

No comments:

Post a Comment